Jul 12, 2024  
2006-2007 Graduate Catalog 
2006-2007 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Student Responsibility

In accepting admission to a graduate program of study at Nazareth College, the student assumes responsibility for becoming aware of, knowing, staying abreast of, and complying with the academic policies and procedures, and Nazareth College policies, set forth in this catalog and subsequent ones as appropriate.

Entries appear in alphabetical order. Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Please note: Policies specific to academic performance for graduate students in Physical Therapy are found in the Physical Therapy Student Handbook. Please contact the Department of Physical Therapy directly to obtain a copy.

Academic Integrity

Definition: Academic integrity means adherence to the code of ethical conduct of scholars. Demanding complete honesty in all academic activity, it ensures a climate that fosters both the free exchange of ideas and the creation of new knowledge.

Policy: Academic integrity is essential for the pursuit and development of knowledge at any academic institution. As a community of scholars, Nazareth College is committed to the highest standards of ethical behavior in the academic enterprise. Respect for each other’s academic and scholarly work requires that all members of the College community:

· strive for excellence in their own academic work as teachers, students, and scholars;
· ensure that their academic work accurately reflects their own knowledge, inquiry, and research;
· acknowledge when and how their academic work builds upon the work of others through appropriate citation or attribution;
· follow the ethical standards of the professional organizations in their fields.

Academic integrity is compromised by any act of academic dishonesty, acts which include, but are not limited to, the following:

· Misrepresenting someone else’s work as one’s own;
· Use of materials, or consultations with persons, not approved by the instructor for assignments, examinations or other academic work;
· Multiple submissions of academic work without prior permission of the appropriate faculty members;
· Cheating on examinations, quizzes or other course assignments;
· Copyright violation in materials provided to students in classes, or in work submitted for course assignments.

NOTE: For information on the other Academic Integrity procedures currently in use by the College, consult the Office of Graduate Student Services. For information on relevant copyright law, see Lorette Wilmot Library website links, and/or “Copyright for the Campus Community” booklet available from Office Services Supervisor.

Revised by the Task Force on Plagiarism [March 2006]

Return to top


For students enrolled in Master of Science in Education degree programs: There is a general advisement session prior to a student’s first semester enrolled in graduate course work. A student is required to attend this advisement session. A student may meet with his or her advisor at anytime by making an individual appointment.

For students enrolled in Master of Science, Master of Arts, and Doctor of Physical Therapy degree programs: Often students meet their Program Director and Advisor when making application to the program. Once a student has been accepted, this person is available to a student for any academic advisement needs that may arise.

Return to top

Auditing a Course

Auditing provides a graduate-level experience for those who wish to learn specific material but not earn credit. Generally, anyone who audits a course does all of the work required for the course excluding the final examination. No grade is ever given and no credit is earned. In all cases, an audit (AU) will appear on the transcript upon completion of the course.

Auditors who are not currently enrolled in a master’s program must hold a master’s degree from an accredited college or university. Auditors must also meet any applicable course prerequisite(s) through equivalent course work or professional experience. Interested persons may audit graduate courses on a space available basis and with the approval of the Program Director. Having received the Program Director’s approval, an auditor will be notified the Friday prior to the start date of classes regarding space availability. Registration and payment will be due prior to attending the first class. The audit fee is one-third (1/3) the tuition charge of the course plus a registration fee.

Return to top

Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Training

For students enrolled in Master of Science in Education degree programs and the Master of Science degree program in Speech-Language Pathology:

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has determined that some workers face a significant health risk as the result of occupational exposure to blood and other potentially infectious materials. While the College does not feel that student teachers, interns, and clinicians face a high risk, the College does feel that information regarding bloodborne pathogens is critical to professionals working with children and young adults. If you are enrolling in an internship, clinic, practicum and/or student teaching experience, you must attend a bloodborne pathogen exposure training within a course of your program of study or through your employer. Students enrolled in the M.S. degree programs of Creative Arts Therapy and Gerontological Nurse Practitioner will undergo bloodborne pathogen exposure training as an established procedure of the internship/clinical site.

As regulated by OSHA, this training must take place on a yearly basis. If a student has already participated in bloodborne pathogen training through his or her employer within the twelve months prior to the student teaching, internship, clinic, or practicum experience, then the student must obtain from his/her employer a letter to the Nazareth College Health Services Office that gives the specific date when training took place.

Any student not trained will be removed from active participation in the classroom/clinic/practicum setting.

Return to top

“C” Grade Policy

See Grading System

Return to top

Capstone Seminar

For students enrolled in Master of Science in Education degree programs:

Once students are registered for EDU 690, Capstone Seminar, they must remain in good academic standing for all registered course work. Withdrawal from any course, student teaching, internship, practicum, or clinical experience will automatically result in being withdrawn from EDU 690. Should this occur, students must re-register for EDU 690 during the semester when all program requirements are completed.

Return to top

Change of Course/Withdrawal

Course changes or withdrawal from courses are completed on a drop/add/withdrawal form available in the Office of Graduate Student Services. The signature of the student’s faculty advisor is required for withdrawal if the drop/add period has ended. The date of withdrawal will be the date of filing this form with the Office of Graduate Student Services and refunds will be made accordingly. Each term’s schedule of classes brochure publishes deadline dates for course changes or withdrawals; this same information is also available on the website calendar. Notice to the course instructor does not constitute official withdrawal or change. Failure to give proper notice incurs a failing mark in the affected course(s). For further information, see Term Withdrawal under Financial Information.

Return to top

Change of Name/Address

Name and address changes are reported to the Office of Graduate Student Services on an official form, which will be channeled to other appropriate offices on campus. Change of name must be accompanied by appropriate legal documentation.

Return to top

Change of Program

The program of academic emphasis is declared at the time of application. Students who are in good academic standing must petition to change their program. Forms to request a Change of Program are submitted to the Office of Graduate Student Services, Smyth Hall, Room 147.

Change of Program requests will be considered up until the final six weeks of a fall or spring semester, or up until the final two weeks of a summer term. If a request is filed during these final weeks of the term, it will be held until the final grading cycle of the term is completed to determine the student’s academic standing in his or her program.

A request for program change by a student not in good academic standing will require the approval of both the current program director and the director of the program to which the student is requesting entrance.

Return to top

Changes in Course Schedules and Fees

Fees, course offerings, and instructors are subject to change without notice. Nazareth College reserves the right to cancel, combine, limit, change, or add sections of courses.

Return to top

Changes in Program Requirements

Nazareth College reserves the right to review and revise graduate curriculum. In all instances of changes to program requirements, students will be advised accordingly with as much advance notice as possible.

Return to top

Commencement Procedures

Commencement at Nazareth College is held annually in May. Nazareth requires that students have completed all program requirements for the master’s degree, including a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, and have fulfilled all financial obligations to the college, before degrees will be awarded. Only students who are receiving their degrees will participate in the commencement exercise. A student who completes degree requirements during the summer or the fall graduates with the class the following May. On the official transcript, a statement will be posted that all requirements have been met as of the end of the term in which requirements are completed. It is the responsibility of all students planning on graduating to fill out the Commencement Information Form and to file it with the Office of Graduate Student Services by the deadline specified in the academic calendar.

A student who will be absent from the conferral of degrees must communicate in writing to the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies to request receipt of his or her degree in absentia.

Information concerning commencement is mailed to eligible students in February of the anticipated commencement year.

See also Degree Completion/Degree Audit.

Return to top

Contesting a Final Grade

Questions regarding grades should first be discussed with the instructor. If questions regarding a course grade cannot be resolved between the student and the instructor, the student is required to follow specific steps to resolve the issue. Procedures pertaining to Contesting a Final Grade are available in the Office of Graduate Student Services.

Return to top

Deferred Admission

Students who have been accepted for admission may delay entrance into selected graduate programs for a period of up to one year. Students may indicate this on the Intent to Enroll form mailed to them as a part of the acceptance packet of information. Students wishing to defer admission after the Intent to Enroll form has been filed, should request an Admissions Deferral form from the Office of Graduate Student Services. Students not enrolling in graduate-level course work within the one-year period following acceptance to a graduate program must re-apply.

Please note: (1) This policy does not apply to the Speech-Language Pathology Program where admission is to a specific fall or spring semester. (2) This policy does not apply to the Creative Arts Therapy Program where admission is to a specific fall semester. (3) This policy does not apply to the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program where admission is specific to a summer term.

Return to top

Degree Completion/Degree Audit

Degree candidates must file a Commencement Information Form at the time of registration for final courses in the degree program. Completion of this form initiates a degree audit. The degree audit considers courses in progress as well as completed courses and determines the extent to which total degree requirements have been, and will be, met. This form may be obtained in the Office of Graduate Student Services.

Degree completion is posted on a student’s transcript in December, May, or August following the end of term. The degree completion date may be helpful for the purposes of employment, certification, licensure, and/or application for advanced study. While the date of completion is the actual end of term when degree requirements are completed, the conferral of degree date differs because it is the date of the commencement ceremony in May when degrees are conferred and diplomas given to students.

Return to top


The college reserves the right to dismiss at any time a student whose conduct and/or academic standing renders the student unacceptable as a member of the college.

Return to top

Electronic Portfolio - Education Programs

All students in teacher education programs will complete an electronic portfolio. An orientation class, EDU 095 Orientation to Personal Electronic Portfolio and Electronic Resource System, is required. The class will introduce students to the major components of the system and provide information about how to access the resource system. There is a course fee attached to EDU 095 which covers a student’s access to the software for the duration of his/her graduate program.

Return to top

Enrollment Status Verification for Student Loans

See Financial Information.

Return to top

Exceptions to Academic Policies and Degree Requirements

Exceptions for students to specific academic policies, program requirements and/or degree requirements must be made in writing via a Graduate Student Petition, and have the written approval of the instructor (if appropriate), faculty advisor, program director, and the dean of the academic college/school. Verbal approval is not considered sufficient documentation to exceptional situations. To protect the student’s best interests, any changes or exceptions must be made through the formal student petition process. Forms are available in the Office of Graduate Student Services. See also Petitions.

Return to top

Fieldwork: Course-Related Fieldwork for Education Programs

While required by the New York State Education Department, the expansive fieldwork component also enables the program directors and faculty to further link theory with practice throughout each graduate education program’s curriculum. Descriptions of courses requiring fieldwork have a notation indicating this requirement. As per New York State Education Department requirements, fieldwork is scheduled during the day in the fall, spring, and summer terms. It is recognized that many graduate students are also full-time teachers; therefore, in some cases, fieldwork may be possible through a student’s employing school district. However, whether through a student’s employing school district or not, ALL fieldwork arrangements are made formally by the College through the office of the Field Placement Services Coordinator. Students will have the opportunity to discuss field placement arrangements with advisors and faculty.

Return to top

Grade Point Average

Students are considered in good academic standing if their overall grade point average is 3.0 or higher. The grade point average is calculated by dividing the number of credit hours attempted into the total number of quality points earned.

Return to top

Grade Reports

A student has access to his/her grades and may print a hard copy grade report through NazNet. Please note: While grades are reported at the completion of each summer session, the accumulation of summer sessions is considered to be one term.

If no grade appears for a course after the grading process has been completed, or if a grade appears to the student to be incorrect, the student should check with the instructor immediately to clarify and/or correct the error.

The College reserves the right to withhold a student’s transcripts and/or diploma until all bills are paid in full.

Return to top

Grading System

Letter grades and quality points are given for each course at the close of each semester according to the following system:

A 4.0 Exceptional achievement, comprehension, and application of graduate-level work
A- 3.7 Superior achievement, comprehension, and application of graduate-level work
B+ 3.3 Substantial achievement, comprehension, and application of graduate-level work
B 3.0 Meets expectations for achievement, comprehension, and application of graduate-level work
B- 2.7 Achievement, comprehension, and application are below expectations for graduate-level work
C+ 2.3 Lowest acceptable passing grades
C 2.0 * See below
F 0.0 Failure

* No more than two C grades (C or C+) in graduate-level work earned at Nazareth College will be counted as part of the degree program. A student receiving a third C grade will be required to retake one of the courses. The course to be retaken will be determined in consultation with the Program Director.

S,U Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory. Letter grades used to measure student achievement in certain designated courses such as some internships, practica, student teaching, or the comprehensive examination. Credit hours are earned for satisfactory work but such grades are not included in the grade point average.

AU Indicates that a student has elected to audit the course; no credit is given and final exam is not required.

I Incomplete. Student did not complete all the work required of the course. Must be resolved by date published in semester bulletin. Note: An “I” grade remains on the transcript after the new grade is posted. See also Incomplete Grades-Procedures.

R Indicates that the course has been repeated. For example, BR recorded on a grade report and transcript would mean that this student had repeated the course and received a grade of B. The original grade remains on the permanent record along with the new grade although only the second grade is calculated in the grade point average.

W Withdrawn. Up to the date assigned in the academic calendar, a student may withdraw from a course without grade penalty. Thereafter, a grade of F may be assigned.

IP In Progress.

NR Not Reported.

Grades of AU and W are not assigned by the instructor, but elected by the student.

Return to top

Human Subjects Research

Nazareth College (the College) values and encourages research involving human subjects and strives to provide opportunities for faculty and students to engage in this activity. In doing so, the College accepts the legal and ethical responsibilities for safeguarding the rights and welfare of human subjects involved in this research.

The College requires that all research projects that use human subjects be approved and periodically reviewed by the Human Subjects Research Committee (the HSRC). The HSRC operates under Section 474(a) of the Public Health Service Act (P.L. 93-348) as implemented by Department of Health and Human Service regulation Title 45, Part 46 of the Code of Federal Regulations (45 CFR 46) which details procedures to safeguard human subjects in research.

Complete information regarding policies and procedures is available upon request from the Chairperson of the HSRC. Since the committee chairperson is a faculty member elected to the position on a rotating basis, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs to obtain the current Chairperson contact information.

Return to top

Incomplete Grades

* see below for Procedures
A grade of “I” for incomplete work will be arranged through student and instructor. This grade is given only in extenuating circumstances such as family or personal emergencies that have occurred during the semester and preclude course completion. Students are eligible for an incomplete grade only if they have completed a major portion of the course work. Incomplete grades must be resolved within six weeks of the end of the semester grading cycle. While the “I” grade does not impact the cumulative grade point average, the “I” grade remains on the student transcript along with the final grade earned in the course.


  1. The student will be responsible to get a Graduate Student Incomplete Grade Petition form, available in the Office of Graduate Student Services. This petition initiated by the student will need to specifically: (1) Request an incomplete grade for a specified course; state the reasons for the request. In order to continue, the instructor must be in support of the reasons written. (2) Outline the student’s responsibilities for meeting course requirements. (3) State the date by which the course requirements will be met. The date of resolution of the incomplete grade will be no later than the date published in the semester calendar.
  2. The signatures of the student and the instructor are required on the petition form signifying agreement with the conditions resolving the “I” grade. These two signatures are the only signatures required.
  3. The instructor will return the top (original) copy of the completed petition form to the Office of Graduate Student Services. The instructor is to retain the third copy of the petition, and give the second copy to the student. The original will be placed in the student’s file in the Office of Graduate Student Services.
  4. Should the student require additional time beyond the published time allowed, the student will be required to initiate a second petition. An Extension of an Incomplete Grade Petition form may be obtained from the Office of Graduate Student Services. This petition for an extension must include a specific completion date. Signatures required on this second petition are: Student, Instructor, Program Director, and Dean of the college/school. Petition for an extension of an incomplete grade will only be reviewed due to extremely serious circumstances.
  5. If a final grade is not submitted at the required end of the designated time period, and there is no petition on file in the Office of Graduate Student Services approving an extension of the time period for resolution of the incomplete grade, then the grade of “F” will be assigned by the Registrar’s Office.

Return to top

Independent Study

The purpose of independent study is to allow students to engage in research and/or study in a specialty area that is not available through established course offerings. Independent study is not designed to resolve schedule conflicts. It requires a comparable workload, a similar time frame, and the same quality level of work as in the regular courses.

Matriculated students in good academic standing may have only one independent study in their program.

Students pursuing this option may obtain the independent study procedures and proposal form from the Office of Graduate Student Services. The approval process may take up to one month to complete. The independent study proposal must be completed prior to the registration dates for the semester. Please note: Independent study cannot be taken as an audit.

Return to top

Leave of Absence

A student in good academic standing may be granted a leave of absence for a maximum of one academic year for medical reasons, financial necessity, etc. Request for a leave of absence is made through the Graduate Program Request for an Official Leave of Absence form. A student must specify on the form: (1) date of the beginning of leave; and (2) date of expected return. A leave of absence may impact course sequence and program completion. Therefore, it is required that the student meet with his/her advisor to adjust the program of study in anticipation of the student’s return. Signature and processing by the Office of Graduate Student Services is the final step in the process. A completed Graduate Program Request for an Official Leave of Absence form must be received prior to the semester(s) to which it applies. It is in the student’s best interest to follow this procedure to ensure student status and gain valuable information regarding programmatic issues due to a leave of absence. See also Time Limit.

The following access or services are available to students on a leave of absence: *
• Access and services as per existing departmental policies or practice
• Access to technology: ID card for bookstore, vending, Cabaret, library; e-mail account; BlackBoard; NazNet; personal web sites; computer labs and user support line

The following access or services are not available to students on a leave of absence:
• Health Services
• Counseling Services
• Campus Ministry (Pastoral Counseling)
• Department laboratories where potentially dangerous materials are used
• Others at the discretion or practice of individual departments

* Please note that involuntary leaves of absence (e.g. disciplinary) are not covered under these guidelines. Other restrictions may also apply.

Return to top

Nazareth College Policies Regarding FERPA

FERPA guidelines restrict directory information that can be released by colleges and universities. Under FERPA, directory information may be released without written consent from the student unless the student signs a non-disclosure statement in the Registrar’s Office.

While FERPA allows for the release of a wider range of directory information, Nazareth College’s Office of the Registrar has adopted an internal policy to release only: name, date of attendance, previous school attended, class, major field(s) of study, graduation honors, degrees conferred (including dates), and date and place of birth.

Schedules and grades can also be released to parents and guardians of dependent students, as defined by the Office of Financial Aid. In addition, Nazareth College releases resident student telephone numbers in a “student directory.” In both instances, students are given the opportunity to request that this information not be released.

For a non-disclosure of information request, or for more information about FERPA, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Return to top

New York State Teacher Certification

The State Education Department of the University of New York has established specific regulations governing teacher certification in all areas. Types of teacher certification include the Initial and Professional Certifications.

Students enrolled in the college’s degree programs which are registered with and approved by the New York State Education Department are recommended by Nazareth College for teacher certification when: (1) the student has completed all degree and certification requirements simultaneously; and (2) the student has filed all required paperwork for certification with the college’s Certification Officer, including the official application form and the New York State certification fee for each certification requested.

Candidates for New York State teacher certification must also complete instruction in the identification and reporting of child abuse, and violence prevention and intervention.

New York State requires all teachers applying for a new certification area to be fingerprinted. This is in accordance with the Fingerprinting Mandates under the Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) Legislation. Application forms are available in Golisano Academic Center, Room 298. Some information can be obtained from the New York State Education Department website. Students may consult with the college’s Certification Officer about matters regarding their programs and teacher certification.

Return to top

New York State Teacher Certification Examinations

• For Initial Certification Programs:
A satisfactory level of performance must be achieved on the following New York State Teacher Certification Examinations in order to be eligible for initial teacher certification in New York State:

  1. Test of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAST)
  2. Assessment of Teaching Skills - Written Component (ATS-W)
  3. Content Specialty Tests (CST)

Refer to the New York State Certification Examinations booklet for complete information. Students may access information through the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website: www.ets.org. Booklets are also available in the Office of Graduate Student Services, the School of Education at Nazareth College, or through the following website: www.nystce.nesinc.com.

• For Obtaining Additional Certificates:
Only the tests/assessments within the New York State Certification (NYSTCE) program will be acceptable for meeting certification requirements in New York for any teaching certificate title. This requirement of the Content Specialty Exams applies to all candidates seeking additional certification(s) (e.g., literacy education, inclusive education, etc.).

Return to top

New York State Certification Exams and the Nazareth College Admissions Process to Initial Certification Programs

All students seeking initial certification in New York State need to pass the appropriate state exams to be certified. If a student completes a teacher education program but does not pass the New York State exams, the student will not be certified in New York State.

In an effort to advise students in graduate education programs, the School of Education requires students to complete the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) within the first semester of their graduate program.

Please Note: Students in the graduate Adolescence programs need to complete the Content Specialty Test (CST) in their content area first, and then take the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST). Both exams need to be completed by the end of the second semester at Nazareth College.

When completing the registration form for the New York State Tests the Nazareth College Institution Code is 590. A student’s scores will automatically be reported to the School of Education at Nazareth College if he/she registers with this code. If a student’s scores are not reported to the School of Education, then he/she will need to bring in the original copy of his/her score report to the School of Education by the end of the semester.

For testing requirements and certification information on all Nazareth College programs go to the Nazareth College website: www.naz.edu/dept/education/cert.

Please use the following website for test information and registration: www.nystce.nesinc.com.

Return to top


Special student requests (e.g., waiver of a course requirement) require written approval by appropriate faculty and/or administrators involved and are submitted to the Director of Graduate Student Services for action by the Dean of the school/college. A student may obtain a Graduate Student Petition Form, and procedural information regarding the form, from the Office of Graduate Student Services.

Return to top

Prerequisite Course Work (or Deficiencies)

In selected programs, students whose undergraduate preparation is deficient of course work required for their graduate program of study must comply with any program/course prerequisites in accordance with their admission status. See additional information in the program’s application materials, and in the Programs of Study section of this catalog.

Return to top


Students with an admission status of full accept and earning a grade point average of less than 3.0 are placed on academic probation. Student and Program Director/Faculty Advisor are notified. Students are required to meet with their Program Director for advisement and program review before registering for any additional courses. Students are limited to a maximum of 6 credit hours of course work in a subsequent semester/term. (Please note that the combination of summer sessions is equivalent to one term, therefore students on academic probation may register for a maximum of one 3 credit hour course in summer session I, and one 3 credit hour course in summer session II.) Students may be on probation for two semesters; the earning of a grade point average of less than 3.0 for a third semester will be cause for dismissal from the college. Please note that probation status is accumulated throughout a student’s degree program. Students with an admission status of provisional with monitoring of grade point average must have a 3.0 by the end of 12 credits in order to continue. See also Dismissal; Withdrawal.

Probationary students continue to be eligible to apply for and receive financial aid.

Removal from Probation: Once the student meets the GPA standards stated above, the student is automatically removed from academic probation.

Return to top

Professional Educator

A student who has completed a master’s degree, or is enrolled in a master’s program of study deemed appropriate by a Program Director, may seek to register for a graduate level course for professional endeavors. The status of Professional Educator will allow the student to register for a graduate course without formal acceptance into a program. Students seek this status through the Graduate Studies Approval for Non-Matriculated Professional Educator Status Form obtained in the Office of Graduate Student Services, Smyth Hall, Room 147. Course registration for students with Professional Educator status will occur no earlier than one week before the class start date and course payment is due at the time of registration. Registrations are processed on a space available basis.

Return to top


Matriculated students in good academic standing who lost their matriculation status and who wish to return to graduate study must file an application for re-admission. Application forms are available in the Office of Graduate Student Services. If the applicant is accepted, credits previously earned count toward the degree program if: (1) credits were successfully completed within the past five years, and (2) the student is re-applying to the same degree program.

Return to top

Records and Confidentiality

A permanent record (transcript) which includes the student’s complete academic history (program of study, courses, grades, GPA calculations, transfer credit, type of degree conferred, and date of graduation) is maintained for each student.

Copies of permanent academic records are released to employers, certification and licensing offices, or other colleges only with the written consent of the student. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to college officials with legitimate educational interests. Program Directors and appropriate college officials have access to academic records for the purpose of counseling, certification, or academic advising.

Another exception is required by the Solomon Amendment (32 CFR Part 216, RIN 0790-AG42). This amendment prescribes that the College must release student’s name, address, telephone listing, age (or year of birth), level of education, and program of study when that information is requested by the Secretary of Defense for military recruiting purposes.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, enforced by the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, grants students the right to inspect, review and challenge the contents of their educational records, and to prevent disclosure, with certain exceptions, of personal information. Copies of the complete college policy on availability and privacy of such records may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office. It is also published each term in the class schedule brochure.

Return to top

Standards for Written Expression

The American Psychological Association (APA) Manual, 5th Edition, has been selected as the style to be used in all written work. All paper/project assignments must be written solely by the stated author for the course in which they have been assigned. Duplicate copies of papers may be requested at the discretion of individual faculty.

Written work is an integral part of graduate study and an index of the student’s ability to apply the proper syntax, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and construction to a level of synthesis and critical thinking that advanced study demands.

Faculty will expect students to meet their standards and format for written assignments. Students having deficiencies in these areas are individually responsible for remediation. A writing center is available to assist students with written work. See also Writing Center.

Return to top

Student/Faculty Concerns

Normally, student/faculty concerns are resolved at the program level with the individual faculty member; if not resolved they are referred to the Program Director and/or the Dean of the school/college. If necessary, concerns of an academic nature should then be addressed in writing to the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies.

Return to top

Student Handbooks

Students enrolled in the Creative Arts Therapy, Physical Therapy, Social Work, and School of Education programs may obtain a copy of the program’s student handbook by contacting the program/department secretary or program director. The handbook contains additional policies and procedures specific to the program of study.

Return to top

Student Teaching/Practicum Placement, School of Education

Candidates whose programs require a student teaching or practicum placement must file an application prior to the placement. Applications and due dates may be obtained in the Office of Field Placement Services. Due dates of applications are also listed in advance in the schedule of classes each semester. If the appropriate faculty as designated on the program’s application form grants approval, the request for placement is processed.

The Office of Field Placement Services will make all student teaching/practicum field placement arrangements. The field placements follow a procedure through the appropriate channels that school districts, private schools, and agencies have established with the College. Any arrangements that students have made through personal contacts in the field will not be recognized.

A student must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in order to begin a student teaching/practicum placement.

Return to top

Student Teaching Waiver for Initial Teacher Certification Programs / Practicum Waiver for Additional Teacher Certification Programs

A structured, supervised, field experience provided by student teaching/practicum is acknowledged to be one of the most essential as well as beneficial components of a teacher preparation program. Nazareth, however, may accept prior teaching experience to fulfill a portion of its student teaching/practicum requirement, if specific criteria can be met. To be considered, the teaching experience must have been that of a paid, full-time teacher (not paraprofessional nor a per diem substitute) who held a position of primary teaching responsibility for at least one year. In addition, the teacher must have performed satisfactorily and the assignment must have been in the appropriate certification areas, with the range of developmental levels represented.

A petition form must be completed as well as the Student Teaching/Practicum Waiver Form also available in the Office of Graduate Student Services.

The Program Director and the Dean of the School of Education are responsible for approving or denying the student’s request for a waiver. If the petition were approved, a course or courses must be taken in lieu of the number of hours waived (i.e. the total credit hour requirement is not reduced). The course(s) must be chosen in consultation with the Program Director or academic advisor.

Return to top

Summer Term

Two summer sessions are traditionally scheduled during the time period of mid May through early August. It is required by New York State Education Department regulation that students may register for a limited number of credit hours based on the number of weeks of the session. Therefore, the maximum is 6 credit hours that a graduate student may register for during one summer session. Please note: with regard to financial aid, the accumulation of summer sessions is considered to be one term.

Return to top

Time Limit

A student seeking the master’s degree must complete the degree requirements in five calendar years from the date of matriculation. A one-time extension may be granted for a valid reason when a written request has been submitted to the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies via the student petition form. Matriculated students must complete a minimum of six credit hours per academic year to maintain their status, unless a leave of absence has been granted. See also Petitions.

Return to top

Transfer Credit

Students may obtain a Request for Approval of Graduate Transfer Credit form in the Office of Graduate Student Services. This form is used for either graduate level credits previously taken and/or credits to be taken in the near future. Grades earned in transfer are not included in the grade point average. Nazareth College reserves the right to accept or refuse any transfer credit. Additional policies and procedures regarding transfer credit are as follows:
• A maximum of six (6) graduate credit hours earned at another accredited institution may be applied to the Nazareth College degree.
• Transfer credits must be appropriate to the student’s degree program.
• A minimum grade of B (3.0) or higher must be earned for each course. Courses graded on S/U or P/F basis are not transferable.
• Transfer credits must be earned not more than five years prior to matriculation.
• A printed catalog description must accompany the request for approval form.
• The official transcript is required before awarding transfer credit.

Students must be matriculated in a Nazareth College Graduate Studies program before transfer credit will be considered and posted on the Nazareth College transcript.

Students having completed graduate level course work elsewhere prior to application to Nazareth College, must complete the request for approval of transfer credit form following matriculation. There is no guarantee that previous credits earned at another institution will be accepted in transfer and applied to the Nazareth College Graduate Studies program.

Matriculated students who wish to take a graduate level course at another institution to be applied toward their degree program at Nazareth College must obtain prior approval to do so. The procedures as printed are adhered to in requesting approval prior to the student’s registering for the course. The Office of Graduate Student Services, Program Director, and Dean of the school/college review all requests regarding transfer credit. Allow approximately four weeks for processing.

Return to top

Tuition Waiver Acceptance Policy

Tuition waivers can be used for the payment of tuition according to the following policies:
• The tuition waiver is acceptable in lieu of tuition only at the time of registration and for the credit hour value in effect at the time of registration. A registration fee is required at the time of registration.
• As indicated on the waiver, a student may use waivers up to a maximum equivalent of 3 credit hours per Fall, Spring, or Summer semester (Summer Session I and Summer Session II are considered one semester).
• If a student was a field professional and is expecting a waiver from the school/agency, but does not have it yet, the Bursar’s Office will verify with the Office of Field Placement Services and process as usual. The actual waiver must be received no later than three weeks following the first day of the semester. If a student is not on the list from the Office of Field Placement Services, regular tuition payment must be made in order to register (tuition waivers will be accepted up to three weeks into the semester).
• If a student withdraws from a course covered by a tuition waiver, he or she will receive the waiver back only if no tuition liability for the course was incurred.
• A tuition waiver cannot be submitted for any previous or past-due balance.
• An unused tuition waiver (full or partial) has no cash value and cannot be refunded, re-issued, or held on account for future use.

Return to top

Waiver of Credit

Waiver of credit allows the student to substitute an elective course from the same area of concentration in which the waived course resides (e.g., a waived course in literacy education must be replaced by another literacy education course). Waiver of course credit does not decrease the total number of credits required for the degree or for certification. The course in replacement of the waived course is selected in consultation with the Director of the program from which the courses reside (e.g., the substitute course in educational technology is selected in consultation with the Director of the Computer Education Program, regardless of what program the student may be enrolled in). A petition must be on file in the Office of Graduate Student Services that documents approval of the waived course and what course is being taken instead.

Return to top


A student planning to transfer or leave the college for any reason must give immediate and formal notice in writing to the Director of Graduate Student Services of his/her intention to withdraw using the Leave of Absence/Withdrawal form available in the Office of Graduate Student Services.

Return to top