2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Business Leadership - Major
The Business Leadership major provides students with a foundation in business knowledge. The curriculum concentrates on teamwork and leadership concepts as well as other skills needed to prepare students for helping people and organizations change.
A minimum average GPA of 2.0 is required for the business and leadership core. The Business Leadership major includes a comprehensive overview of business fields, and therefore is not able to be combined with other majors within the School of Business and Leadership such as Accounting, Finance, or Marketing. However, business leadership majors have the option to pursue a minor within SBL in any of the following areas: accounting, analytics, digital marketing, economics, entertaining and recording industry, finance, financial planning, marketing and BAII - business, artificial intelligence, and innovation.
Students pursuing the business and leadership major will:
- Be immersed in a business core curriculum that provides a thorough knowledge of accounting, economics, entrepreneurship, ethics, finance, global issues, management, marketing, and technology.
- Develop skill in the areas of communication, critical thinking, analysis, and teamwork.
- Better understand the role of general and business education in the development and pursuit of personal and professional interests.
Students will be encouraged to pursue an internship in a field consistent with their academic and career interests. An internship is a form of experiential learning that allows students to achieve academic credit while gaining valuable work experience with a local organization. A minimum average GPA of 2.0 is required for the business core. The Business Leadership major includes a comprehensive overview of business fields, and therefore is not intended to be combined with other majors within the School of Business and Leadership. Students are welcome to minor in any SBL fields, but cannot combine the Business Leadership major with majors in Accounting, Finance, or Marketing.
To achieve career and life goals, students will:
- Analyze, integrate and utilize principles and information from the appropriate business disciplines to create opportunities and develop solutions to business problems
- Demonstrate a high level of professional interpersonal, presentation, and written communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to identify the influence of external forces such as globalization, economics, law, technology, and ethics on individuals and organizations
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate and utilize data-driven evidence for analysis and decision making
- Demonstrate the self-awareness and collaborative competencies to contribute as a team member across tangible and virtual platforms
- Develop, articulate, and apply a philosophy of leadership to their personal and professional lives.