This program is designed to meet the growing demand for bachelor-level scientists in healthcare, industry, government, and academia, as well as to provide a flexible, customizable foundation for students planning to pursue graduate study health professional degrees. Opportunities for students majoring in biomedical sciences are numerous and include graduate study in the health and life sciences (for example in public health, forensics, nutrition, healthcare administration, or genetic counseling) or enrollment in health professional schools (such as medical, veterinary, dental, pharmacy, physician assistant, chiropractic, optometry, or podiatry programs, among others). Additional career paths may include clinical, biological, chemical or forensic science technician or technologist or pharmaceutical or medical sales.
The B.S. in Biomedical Sciences is interdisciplinary in nature, built upon a strong biology, chemistry, physics, and math core. The program offers four defined career tracks (Pre-medicine/Veterinary/Dental, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Physician Assistant and Science Business) as well as a “flexible” career tracks that will allow students (in consultation with their advisors) to tailor a course of study to their specific interests and career aspirations.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Explain biomedical concepts at all levels of life organization;
- Demonstrate knowledge of and technical competency in current biomedical sciences laboratory techniques;
- Demonstrate ethical reasoning with respect to current issues in the biomedical sciences;
- Communicate scientific information through both oral and written forms to scientific and lay audiences.
Core Curriculum Requirements
All Nazareth students complete Core Curriculum coursework as part of their degree requirements. The Core provides a foundation in the liberal arts and sciences while guiding students to pose and explore their own intellectual questions. See Academic Policies and Procedures for specific core curriculum requirements.
Laboratory Safety Requirement
Social Sciences Requirements
Complete the following course sequence:
Career Track Options & Requirements
All Biomedical Sciences majors must complete one of the following career tracks:
Pre-Medicine/Veterinary/Dental Career Track (requires an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher)
Pre-Pharmacy Career Track
Pre-Physician Assistant Career Track
Science Business Career Track
Plus, take two courses from the following options:
Custom Career Track
- In consultation with their advisor, students can design an individualized career track that includes five upper level BIO, CHM, or CLS courses, with labs (if required).
- Students interested in chiropractic, optometry, podiatry, or other health care related areas should consult with their advisor regarding course selection.
Sample Program for the Biomedical Sciences Major