Music therapy graduate students study alongside Art Therapy graduate students in a psychotherapy-focused curriculum that prepares them to be effective and ethical mental health professionals who are capable of applying intellectual strength, ethics, and aesthetic values in the treatment of individuals, groups, and families. The music therapy specialization has two tracks: a 48 credit hour option for students who already hold a bachelor’s degree in music therapy or its equivalent, and a 60 credit hour program for students with a Bachelor’s degree in music (other than music therapy) which combines an equivalency in music therapy with the graduate curriculum. Successful completion of the equivalency coursework, including internship, qualifies students to take the music therapy certification exam from the Certification Board for Music Therapy (cbmt.org). The M.S. in Creative Arts Therapy/Music Therapy Specialization is a New York State licensure-qualifying program, fulfilling the masters-level educational component required to become a Licensed Creative Arts Therapist.
Program Coordinator, Music Therapy
Betsey King, PhD, LCAT, MT-BC
Melissa Reed, MME, LCAT, MT-BC
Entry Requirements for Music Therapy Program
- Completed Online Application
- Completion of the professional statement as described on the application
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Applicant must have completed, or will be completing, a baccalaureate degree in music or music therapy from an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a “B” average in the major field by the start date of the desired term. Prior coursework must include an Introduction to Psychology course.
- Applicants who do not meet these grade point average expectations must address them in their professional statement; please see the Professional Statement section of the admissions application for further information.
- Two letters of recommendation
- A live audition on the student’s primary instrument as well as basic, functional demonstration in guitar, piano, voice, and music theory.
- Applicants who are selected for an interview and audition will be contacted by the Auditions Coordinator.
Application Deadlines for the Creative Arts Therapy Program: Music Therapy Specialization: Rolling