The Art Education program offers a Master of Science in Education with New York State Professional Teacher Certification, Birth - Grade 12. Committed to developing well-rounded artist-teacher-researchers, the mission is to prepare students to become practicing artists and knowledgeable, reflective professional educators capable of teaching visual arts in diverse contexts and advancing change in the field. The program blends theory, research, and graduate studio coursework to satisfy New York State’s graduate credit requirements for Professional certification.
The college’s Art Education programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The M.S.Ed. Art Education program is registered with the New York State Department of Education.
Certification required for admission: Initial Certification in Art Education
Program leads to: Master of Science in Education; upon logging appropriate work/job hours, eligibility to file for New York Professional Certification in Art Education
Admission to the Nazareth College graduate programs and the Art Education program require:
- Completed online application;
- Professional statement (described on application);
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Applicants must have completed, or will be completing, a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a “B” average in the major field by the start date of the desired term. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is expected. Applicants who do not meet these requirements must address each of the following in their professional statement:
- Explain why grades were below Nazareth’s minimum expectations
- Explain potential to positively contribute to the teaching profession
- Describe relevant experiences and/or activities that demonstrate ability to successfully complete graduate work at Nazareth College
- Outline specific procedures that will be followed to successfully navigate and meet the rigorous requirements of graduate study
- Submission of an electronic portfolio: 10-15 art works (uploaded into the online application);
- Two letters of recommendation that speak to the applicant’s potential for graduate level coursework, scholarship, and teaching skills;
- New York State Initial certification in Art Education;
- Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted by the departmental admissions committee.
Additional Certification Requirements
Graduate students in the Professional Certification program who were initially certified before 2013 will have to satisfy updated certification requirements by taking a course in Diverse Learners, as well as workshops in Health Education and Prevention of Violence, and Prevention and Intervention Training in Harrassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying and Discrimination in Schools. Teacher candidates adding an additional certification will need to take the Content Specialty Test–Visual Arts (CST).
Filing for Certification
Teacher candidates who have successfully completed the above requirements and program coursework listed below will complete Fingerprinting and a Background Check, and pay the fees in effect at the time they apply, using the NYS TEACH system to formally file for their Professional Certification. For more information please see the School of Education section of the catalog.
Additional support may be obtained by contacting the Nazareth College Teacher Certification Office at (585) 389-2591 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or go.naz.edu/cert
Graduate Academic Standards:
- Nazareth’s graduate programs and the Art Education program require a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Student GPA’s are monitored each semester, and letters of Academic Warning and/or Dismissal from the program will be sent accordingly. For more information about these policies, see Academic Policies and Procedures .
Application Deadlines for Professional Certification Programs:
April 1 for Fall Term (Fall is preferred start term)
Requests for Spring admission (October 1 application deadline) will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Applications received after the stated deadline will be processed on a space-available basis.