English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), pre-k-12 - All Grades
Adolescence Education, 7-12
This program is committed to the preparation of professional educators whose expertise provides broad and rich support to the education of students at the adolescence level (Grades 7-12) and/or students from language backgrounds other than English (K-12).
Courses will be scheduled to allow students to move through the program at either a part-time rate (3-6 credit hours per semester) or full-time rate (9-12 credit hours per semester). Variance from advised sequence of coursework may slow a student’s progress in future semesters since not all courses will be offered each semester. Please refer to the course description section for specific prerequisite and co-requisite requirements for courses.
Rui Cheng, Ph.D.
INITIAL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
Link to online application
- Complete Online Application
- Completion of the professional statement as described on the application
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Applicants must have completed, or will be completing, a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a “B” average in the major field by the start date of the desired term. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is expected. Applicants who do not meet these requirements must address each of the following in their professional statement:
- Explain why grades were below Nazareth’s minimum expectations
- Explain potential to positively contribute to the teaching profession
- Describe relevant experiences and/or activities that demonstrate ability to successfully complete graduate work at Nazareth College
- Outline specific procedures that will be followed to successfully navigate and meet the rigorous requirements of graduate study
- Submit standardized test scores from within the past 5 years. Initial certification applicants must submit scores from one of the following exam options:
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination); How to submit GRE scores.
- Nazareth College GRE Code: 2511
- MAT (Miller Analogies Test). How to submit MAT scores.
- Nazareth College MAT Code: 1479
- SAT test. How to submit SAT scores.
- ACT test. How to submit ACT scores.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Thirty (30) credit hours in a major or concentration with a B average and at least 12 credit hours at the upper division level. Major/concentration options include Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English, French, German, Italian, Mathematics or Social Studies. Applicants seeking content area Social Studies must have studied in economics, government and at least a total of 21 credit hours in the history and geography of the United States and the world.
- Twelve (12) credit hours of a language other than English. A minimum of six (6) credits must be completed in the first year of graduate study.
March 1 for Summer Term
April 1 for Fall Term
October 1 for Spring Term
Applications received after the stated deadline will be processed on a space-available basis
Certification required for admission: None
Program leads to: Initial certification ESOL (K-12) and Adolescene Education (Grades 7-12) in one of the following content aras: Biology, Chemistry, Physicas, English, French, German, Italian, Mathematics, or Social Studies.
New York State Teacher Certification Requirements (undergraduate liberal arts requirements)
As required by the New York State Education Department, the following are undergraduate liberal arts requirements for initial certification in ESOL. A complete transcript review of previous studies will be conducted to ascertain that each applicant meets these requirements. Official transcript(s) must be on file in the Registrar’s Office.
- A total of at least 30 semester credit hours in the Liberal Arts and Sciences are required.
- Language other than English: minimum 12 semester credit hours
- All liberal arts deficiencies must be successfully completed with a grade of C or higher and a total cumulative grade point average of 2.7.
Applying for Teacher Certification through New York State - Initial Certification
Teacher candidates use the NYS TEACH system to apply for Initial and Professional certifications and need to pay the fees in effect at the time they apply. New York requires all teacher candidates to have a fingerprint/background check on file with TEACH, pass all appropriate New York State Teacher Certification Examinations and have the appropriate years of teaching experience. New York State Education Department maintains a website with certification requirements: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/
All teacher candidates in a first time certification program requiring student teaching must successfully complete the following requirements to obtain New York State Teacher Certification:
- Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA);
- Educating All Students Test (EAS); and
- Content Specialty Test(s) (CST).
During a teacher candidate’s final semester, information on the certification application process will be sent via email. Additional support may be obtained by contacting Nazareth College Teacher Certification Office at (585) 389-2592 or by email email@example.com, or www2.naz.edu/school-education/teacher-certification/