The Bachelor of Music degree in performance provides professional level performance training for students who intend to pursue careers as performing musicians. The curriculum includes pedagogical coursework, performance techniques, a comprehensive study of instrumental and vocal repertoire, studio teaching, an overview of the ensemble literature associated with their performance area, lyric theater, and opera. With an emphasis on applied music study, the program includes courses in the disciplines of music that inform and enrich the performance experience, including music theory and history, analysis, and conducting. The degree prepares students to assume leadership roles as performing artists and independent professional musicians as well as for entrance into graduate degree programs.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Nazareth College Department of Music Bachelor of Music in Performance degree program provides students with an educational experience enabling them to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the standard solo and ensemble repertoire for their instrument through musical performance.
- Participate in a variety of solo, ensemble and performances in formal and informal settings, demonstrating the highest standards in artistic excellence including technical facility, good tone, and intonation, rhythmic vitality, accuracy and artistic expression.
- Attain comprehensive musicianship capabilities enabling independent preparation of performances demonstrating the highest standards in artistic excellence.
- Demonstrate a practical and theoretical foundation in the pedagogy related to individual performance areas, including the ability to construct a program of instructions, to evaluate musical performances, diagnose problems and devise solutions.
- Demonstrate performance musicianship informed by historical and analytical studies (comprehension of historical styles and performance practice).
- Understand and demonstrate the basic principles of their technique with an appreciation for the application of that technique as a means to artistic communication
- Employ and embody the tenets and values of the liberal arts in performance and educational practices within the context of the broad spectrum of liberal arts in the Nazareth College core curriculum.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Performance-Voice requires a minimum of 125 credits.