The B.S. in Dance Studies is a degree with a rigorous foundation in both the arts and sciences. The program has a strong emphasis on both the “how” and “why” of dance, with a solid grounding in not only the physical, but also the cultural, historical, aesthetic, entrepreneurial, therapeutic, and theoretical functions of dance. The Dance Studies program prepares graduates for employment, graduate degrees, and/or certification programs in such areas as dance performance, choreography, dance pedagogy, production/stage management, arts administration, dance therapy, dance history, dance criticism, dance theory and research, somatic therapies, and movement analysis.
Emphasizing the development of the well-rounded dance artist living and working within a global and technological community, we are forwarding the concept of the “thinking dancer” through this program. The spirit of creative investigation, original research, and productivity are main themes - courses stress personal creativity, individual growth, and strong dance training, within a greater context of social awareness. The Dance Studies program will provide an excellent means of gaining in-depth knowledge of the art form and its related fields through multi-faceted training in performance, theory, wellness, interdisciplinarity, pedagogy, and current modes of research.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will possess the following competencies:
- The ability to identify and work conceptually with the elements of dance.
- An understanding of choreographic processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural ideas and contexts.
- An acquaintance with a wide selection of dance repertory, the principal eras, genres, and cultural sources.
- The ability to develop and defend critical evaluations.
- Fundamental knowledge of the body and of kinesiology as applicable to work in dance.
- An understanding of procedures for realizing a variety of dance styles.
Assistant Professor, Dance
Department of Theatre and Dance
Dance Studies Program Requirements
Total credits required to fulfill major: 58