Oct 23, 2017
The Bachelor of Music degree in performance provides professional level performance training for students who intend to pursue careers as performing musicians. The curriculum includes pedagogical coursework, a comprehensive study of instrumental and vocal repertoire, an overview of the ensemble literature associated with their performance area, lyric theater and opera. With an emphasis on applied music study, the program includes courses in the disciplines of music that inform and enrich the performance experience, including music theory and history, analysis, and conducting. The degree prepares students to assume leadership roles as performing artists and independent professional musicians as well as for entrance into graduate degree programs.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Nazareth College Department of Music Bachelor of Music in Performance degree program provides students with an educational experience enabling them to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the standard solo and ensemble repertoire for their instrument through musical performance.
- Participate in a variety of solo, ensemble and performances in formal and informal settings, demonstrating the highest standards in artistic excellence including technical facility, good tone, and intonation, rhythmic vitality, accuracy and artistic expression.
- Attain comprehensive musicianship capabilities enabling independent preparation of performances demonstrating the highest standards in artistic excellence.
- Demonstrate a practical and theoretical foundation in the pedagogy related to individual performance areas, including the ability to construct a program of instructions, to evaluate musical performances, diagnose problems and devise solutions.
- Demonstrate performance musicianship informed by historical and analytical studies (comprehension of historical styles and performance practice).
- Understand and demonstrate the basic principles of their technique with an appreciation for the application of that technique as a means to artistic communication
- Employ and embody the tenets and values of the liberal arts in performance and educational practices within the context of the broad spectrum of liberal arts in the Nazareth College core curriculum.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Performance-Voice requires a minimum of 125 credits.
Core Curriculum Requirements
All Nazareth students complete Core Curriculum coursework as part of their degree requirements. The Core provides a foundation in the liberal arts and sciences while guiding students to pose and explore their own intellectual questions. See Academic Policies and Procedures for specific core curriculum requirements.
Music Core (Music Performance-Voice)
Bachelor of Music Core (Music Performance-Voice)
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Music in Performance-Voice must take the following (in addition to the courses listed above):
Vocal Performance Major Required Courses
In addition to the Cores listed above, Vocal Performance students are required to take the following courses.
- (6 semesters)
- MUP 1X - Vocal Coaching Credit: 1 (4 semesters)
- MUP 2B - Perfomance Secondary Lessons Piano Credit:1 (2 Semesters)
Foreign Language Requirement
Students must complete six credits in a Modern Foreign Language. May be two courses in the same language or two different languages.
Upper Division Music Electives
Elective Requirements by Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Music - complete one upper division music elective from either Music Theory or Music History
- Bachelor of Music in Composition - complete three upper division music electives
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education - complete one upper division music elective from either Music Theory or Music History
- Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy - complete one upper division music elective from either Music Theory or Music History
- Bachelor of Music in Music Performance (Voice) - complete one upper division music electives in Music Theory and one upper division elective in Music History
- Bachelor of Music in Music Performance (Piano, Instrumental) - complete four upper division music electives; at least one must be in Music Theory and one must be in Music History
Music Senior Experience
The culminating senior course for the BM in Music Performance is the Senior Recital Honors, an experiential learning course engaging students in demonstrating the practical application of knowledge and skills acquired in the study of applied music, music history, music theory and the liberal arts.
Sample Program for Music Performance Major - Vocal