The business management program is part of the School of Management, offering a Bachelor of Science degree in business management. Business students have the option to pursue a minor in any of the following areas: accounting, economics, finance, human resource management, information systems, international business, and marketing
The goal of the business management major is to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to gain access to a variety of entry-level positions in business, government, and not-for-profit organizations. Students also develop an understanding of the challenges and rewards of entrepreneurship.
Note: See Minors for list of minors designed to complement School of Management majors.
Students pursuing the business major will:
- Be immersed in a business core curriculum that provides a thorough knowledge of accounting, economics, entrepreneurship, ethics, finance, global issues, management, marketing, and technology.
- Develop skill in the areas of communication, critical thinking, analysis, and teamwork.
- Better understand the role of general and business education in the development and pursuit of personal and professional interests.
Students will be encouraged to pursue an internship in a field consistent with their academic and career interests. An internship is a form of experiential learning that allows students to achieve academic credit while gaining valuable work experience with a local organization. A minimum average GPA of 2.0 is required for the business core.
To achieve career and life goals, students will:
- Analyze, integrate and utilize principles and information from the appropriate business disciplines to create opportunities and develop solutions to business problems
- Demonstrate a high level of professional interpersonal, presentation, and written communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to identify the influence of external forces such as globalization, economics, law, technology, and ethics on individuals and organizations
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate and utilize data-driven evidence for analysis and decision making
- Demonstrate the self-awareness and collaborative competencies to contribute as a team member across tangible and virtual platforms