Music education majors at Nazareth College qualify for birth-12 certification in music from the New York State Department of Education. As a state certification requirement, students complete professional courses in instrumental, choral, and general music methods. The student teaching experience serves as the capstone for this program. A minimum GPA of 2.7 is required for student teacher placement. To earn teacher certification, students must complete all professional courses (as defined in the department handbook) with a grade of C or higher, and must pass the New York State teacher certification exams. The Bachelor of Music degree in Music Education requires a minimum of 131 credits.
Requirements for New York Initial Teacher Certification
All teacher candidates must successfully complete the following to meet the requirements for New York teacher certification:
• Academic and education program with a GPA of 2.7 or higher
• All education course work with a grade of C or higher
• New York State teacher certification examinations
All students in a first time certification program requiring student teaching who will complete their program on or after May 1, 2014 must successfully complete the following requirements to obtain New York State Teacher Certification:
- Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA);
- Educating All Students Test (EAS); and
- Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST); and
- Content Specialty Test(s) (CST).
See www.naz.edu/dept/edu/certification.cfm for details, suggested timelines for these exams and costs.
Teacher candidates use the NYS TEACH system to apply for Initial certification(s) and need to pay the fees in effect at the time they apply. New York requires all teacher candidates to have fingerprint/background check on file with TEACH and pass all appropriate New York State Teacher Certification Examinations www.nystce.nesinc.com. New York State Education Department maintains a website with certification requirements: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/
During a teacher candidate’s final semester information on the application process will be sent via email. Additional support may be obtained by contacting the Nazareth College Teacher Certification Office at 389-2592 or 2591 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, www.naz.edu/dept/edu/certification.cfm.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Through advocacy, demonstrate a commitment to the tenets of the music education profession.
2. Demonstrate effort and competence as an artist-musician, pedagogue, scholar, and emerging professional.
3. Through the completion of the methods course sequence and the professional semester, cultivate and reflect upon one’s own understanding of effective teaching strategies for the music classroom. Show consistent development as an emerging professional, planner, facilitator, evaluator and music specialist.
4. Apply knowledge from Core courses, music courses, applied lessons, and ensemble experiences to effective music teaching and learning environments.
5. Exercise flexibility, a willingness to learn, and a consistent positive attitude toward music education.
6. Writing and Discussion - State and National Standard [Active - Currently Being Assessed]
In writing and discussion, the ability to incorporate both state and national standards into successful, developmentally appropriate music teaching.