Apr 25, 2018
A Creative Arts Therapy Program embedded in a psychotherapeutic orientation prepares students educated in art or music to be effective and ethical professionals specializing in the fields of Art Therapy or Music Therapy. The music therapy specialization has two tracks: a comprehensive 60 credit hour program as well as a 48 credit hour advanced standing option for students who already hold a bachelor’s degree in music therapy or its equivalent. The programs are committed to developing people who are capable of applying intellectual strength, ethics, and aesthetic values in the treatment of individuals, groups, and families. The M.S. in Creative Arts Therapy is a New York State licensure-qualifying program, fulfilling the educational component required to become a Licensed Creative Arts Therapist.
Program Director, Music Therapy
Bryan Hunter, Ph.D., LCAT, MT-BC
Entry Requirements for Music Therapy Program
- Completed Online Application
- Completion of the professional statement as described on the application
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Applicant must have completed, or will be completing, a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a “B” average in the major field by the start date of the desired term. Prior coursework must include an Introduction to Psychology course.
- An applicant who does not meet these grade point average expectations must address them in his/her professional statement; please see the Professional Statement section of the admissions application for further information.
- A live audition on the student’s primary instrument
- Two letters of recommendation
- Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted by the departmental admissions committee.
Application Deadlines for the Creative Arts Therapy Program:
Music Therapy: April 1 for Fall Term; October 1 for Spring Term
Applications received after the deadline will be processed on a space-available basis.
Creative Arts Therapy Core - 60 & 48 Credit Hour Programs (24 credits)
Music Therapy Core - 60 Credit Program (30 credits)
Music Therapy Core - 48 Credit Program (18 credits)
Music Therapy Electives
All music therapy students must complete 6 credits of electives
*60 credit program - students must complete 3 of the six credits in music courses
*48 credit program - students must complete all 6 credits in music courses
See advisor for approved elective courses, from Creative Arts Therapy (CAT) and Music (MED, MUS, MPED)
TOTAL CREDITS: 60 (Full Program) or 48 (Advanced Standing Program)