The Art Education Programs at Nazareth College strive to nurture and sustain art educators as they meet the challenges of today’s schools and assume a leadership role in shaping the schools of tomorrow. At the graduate level, the goal is to enrich and expand art educators who look critically and reflectively at the role art education plays in the school curriculum. Through an artist-teacher model, the graduate programs provide students with an opportunity to engage in advanced and concentrated study in the visual arts. The program leading to initial certification also utilizes a field based model to prepare students for teaching art by critically analyzing and synthesizing artistic and educational theory and practice at all levels of learning in area schools. The programs ensure a broadening of artistic knowledge, and teaching skill for those students seeking professional certification, with an emphasis on the development of the aesthetic and critical artist-teacher.
Shannon Elliott, Ed.D.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Completed Online Application
- Completion of the professional statement as described on the application
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Applicant must have completed, or will be completing, a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a “B” average in the major field by the start date of the desired term.
- An applicant who does not meet these grade point average expectations must address them in his/her professional statement; please see the Professional Statement section of the admissions application for further information.
- Submission of electronic portfolio: 10-15 art works on CD or DVD
- Copy of verification of teacher certification in Visual Arts Education from the TEACH system
- Two letters of recommendation
- Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted by the departmental admissions committee.
Certification required for admission: Initial certification in Art Education
Program leads to: Professional certification in Art Education
A Bilingual Extension or Gifted Education Extension is available. Please see Annotation and Extensions for further information.
Teacher candidates use the NYS TEACH system to apply for Professional certification(s) and need to pay the fees in effect at the time they apply. They must have the appropriate years of teaching experience. New York State Education Department maintains a website with certification requirements: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/
NOTE: ALL STUDENTS COMPLETING THEIR DEGREE PROGRAM AFTER MAY 1, 2014 – ONLY CONTENT SPECIALTY TESTS (CST) WILL BE ACCEPTED. THERE WILL BE THREE OTHER ASSESSMENTS REQUIRED. AT THE TIME OF PUBLISHING THIS CATALOG, THESE ASSESSMENTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE.
During a teacher candidate’s final semester, information on the application process will be sent via email. Additional support may be obtained by contacting the Nazareth College Teacher Certification Office at (585)389-2592 or 2591 or e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, www.naz.edu/dept/edu/certification.cfm
Application Deadlines for Professional Certification Programs:
March 1 for Summer Term
April 1 for Fall Term
October 1 for Spring Term
Applications received after the stated deadline will be processed on a space-available basis.