Completion of the Master of Science in Accounting program allows students to meet the 150 credit hour requirement for CPA licensure. Nazareth College offers two tracks for entering students: a 5-year program is available to entering freshman and undergraduate transfer students, leading to a BS/MS degree; a second track is available to students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited institution other than Nazareth College.
Students completing the Certified Public Accounting program will acquire the knowledge and skills needed to succeed as an active member of the profession. Successful completion of the accounting program will allow you to:
- Meet the current academic requirements needed to sit for the New York State C.P.A. exam.
- Acquire knowledge from the areas of economics, finance, management, marketing, ethics, technology and global issues.
- Develop proficiency in the areas of communication (oral and written), critical thinking and teamwork, enabling you to become a skilled professional.
- Learn to use sound professional judgment to resolve problems in an analytical and ethical manner.
- Balance a professional education with studies in the liberal arts to better understand the role of the professional in business, and to promote life-long learning and the pursuit of personal growth.
Students completing the accounting degree are qualified to work in the fields of public, private and not-for-profit accounting.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, the employment of accountants and auditors is expected to grow by 22% between 2008 and 2018, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. An increase in the number of businesses, changing financial laws and regulations, and increased scrutiny of company finances will drive growth.
The growth of international business also has led to more demand for accounting expertise and services related to international trade and accounting rules, as well as to international mergers and acquisitions. These trends should create more jobs for accountants and auditors.
A GPA of at least 2.7 in undergraduate accounting courses is required for entry into the master’s program. An overall GPA of 3.0 must be maintained in graduate level courses.
Phyllis Bloom, M.B.A., C.P.A.
Entry Requirements for Nazareth Undergraduate Students
- Completion of the Nazareth B.S. in Accounting program with a cumulative index of 2.7.
- Completion of the “intent to enroll” form during last semester of undergraduate study.
- Program director approval.
Entry Requirements for All Other Applicants
- Completed Online Application
- Completion of the professional statement as described on the application
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Applicant must have completed, or will be completing, a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative index of 3.0 and a “B” average in the major field by the start date of the desired term.
- An applicant who does not meet these grade point average expectations must address them in his/her professional statement; please see the Professional Statement section of the admissions application for further information.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Interview with the program director
For Summer, Fall or Spring Terms: